Marie Kondō Style
Marie Kondō is an organising consultant. She offers courses and seminars on discarding and organising items, which she sees as a starting point for organising your inner-self. In 2014 Kondō published the English translation of her first book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, which offers several methods to achieve and maintain order.
Kondō's tidying method, which she describes in her book as the Konmari method, consists of the following steps:
1. Tidy everything at once perfectly within a short period of time.
2. Gather all items to be tidied in a pile.
3. Decide whether any items should be discarded.
4. Make your choice by asking the following question: does holding on to this item give me joy?
5. Give each item you want to keep a place.
6. Put all the remaining items in their assigned places.